Service with Compassion…

"Be kind and compassionate to one another..." – Ephesians 4:32.

+++

Oliver Campbell, a long-time member of the Catholic Worker community in Washington, DC, and highly respected  for his work feeding and caring for the homeless in that city once told the story of how he began his work.

"One night as I brought down a large gallon jug of split pea soup and set it down on the cement block near the heating vent where they gathered, a rather rough looking fellow picked up the jar of soup and, in one motion, broke the jar over my head....

"Instead of running away, I asked the man why he had done that. These were probably the first words I had ever spoken to any of them. He told me I was doing nothing more than bringing food to the dogs. I was bringing food, setting it down like I was feeding them out of a pet dish and then just walking away.  He said, 'Talk to us.  Visit us. We don't bite.'"

"What happened that night, said Oliver, 'was that a first barrier had been broken in my perceptions of who homeless people are. I realized that these men and women on the street had feelings, just like me.  They wanted to be loved and respected and listened to. They cared that someone cared about them, but just giving food and a blanket was not enough."

+++

My friends, serving God and being a Christian is about leading a life of service, and COMPASSION. Is that the life we are leading?

God should never have to ask us if we have some time. When He died on the cross, He put aside everything to ensure us eternal life. We should be more than GRATEFUL to do service for the Lord -- to witness, and to tell ANYONE we can about Jesus. Don't let your "things," WHATEVER they may be, get you so tied up that God has to become a meeting time in your yearly planner.

Romans 12:1-2 “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”

Stay Blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IHS Email List - 20th April 2016

Cheer Up, Life is Good…

The Joy Of The Lord...!